how to cover cancellation costs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

how to cover cancellation costs

Post by jt77473 on Tue 18 Aug 2009 - 0:52

ryanair is great, i'm a big fan, but i know one day my luck will run out. a flight will get cancelled due to weather, and i'll have to pay for hotels or a return flight with another airline.

if it's ryanair's fault then under EU261 you can get some money back. But if it ain't their fault then you get nothing. and if you're on a one-flight a week schedule then you have to pay for a whole week of hotels or another flight to get home. so the £10 trip could end up costing like £500

Has anyone been in this situation? Are there any insurance policies to cover these costs?

I'm not whinging about ryanair , I know that if it's not their fault then they don't have to give you anything, and it's your problem if you're stranded, not theirs. But even so, it'd be nice to have a travel insurance policy that would pay more than just a few quid per 12 hour delay....it would be better if moderate hotel and flight costs were covered.

Is this possible? Has anyone on here been stranded by RA and had to make their own way home?

Thanks
jt77473
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: how to cover cancellation costs

Post by atoutprix on Tue 18 Aug 2009 - 13:08

jt77473 wrote:ryanair is great, i'm a big fan, but i know one day my luck will run out.

Are there any insurance policies to cover these costs?

Has anyone on here been stranded by RA and had to make their own way home?

Thanks

Yes, someday your luck runs out !

I was stranded twice last winter.

Once at Bergamo. The flight from Charleroi could not take off because of fog (it was before CRL being cat III) and my flight back to CRL was cancelled. No seat available to CRL before two days; no seat from Treviso to CRL on the morrow; I got a seat from Pisa to CRL at midday the day after. Ryanair staff at BGY was very helpful and trying hard to find a solution for everybody, I must say.
I took the coach to Milano Centrale, I spent the night at a hotel near the station, took an early train to Pisa on the morning and flew back to Belgium. The ticket was free, of course, but it cost me some 125 euros in bus, hotel and train.

The other happened at Dublin. 2-3 cm of snow fallen in the afternoon were enough to cause the airport to be closed and all flights cancelled. I had to spent the night there and wait for the next afternoon to get a flight to CRL. It cost me some 120 euros in hotel and food ...

I have no insurance for that and I let it go.
Two such incidents in more than 250 Ryanair flights, I think it's not too expensive : on average, it adds only about 1 euro to the price of each flight.
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2389
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jt77473 on Tue 18 Aug 2009 - 23:39

Thanks. OK, so in the long term that expense is spread out, but if you were unlucky and only travelled once or twice a year, then you'd want cover.

I've since found out that ryanair are famous for denying passengers' EU rights - apparently we still have rights to food, hotel, phone calls etc EVEN for delays due to extraordinary circumstances. Ryanair famously won't give these out and apparently the only way to get them is through the courts! Good luck to anyone trying that though.
jt77473
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix on Thu 20 Aug 2009 - 12:14

I beg not to agree with you.

- Ryanair cancels very few flights - less than 1 % ( in my case : 2 in 261 flights to date, which is 0,8 %).
- Ryanair offers very inexpensive tickets - this year, I have averaged 15 euros per flight, all included (no hold baggage). For that price, can you demand to be fed and put up at a hotel ? I feel it wouldn't be fair.
- by now, everybody is aware of the Ryanair position on this subject. In my view, by booking on Ryanair, one accepts it as it stands.

As they say, you have to take the rough with the smooth !
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by jt77473 on Thu 20 Aug 2009 - 12:42

Interesting argument, atoutprix. Let me offer some rational thought in response:

"Ryanair cancels very few flights - less than 1 % ( in my case : 2 in 261 flights to date, which is 0,8 %)"

Correct. I am not contending this. It is fortunate that only a very small minority of passengers will experience problems. Much in the same way that only a small minority of travel insurance policy holders actually make a large claim for broken legs etc. That is the nature of risk. I think it would be foolish to deny the possibility that one's flight may be cancelled. More importantly, some of these cancellations have nothing to do with ryanair, eg fog at airports, other situations out of their control. So I'm not sure what your point is here, but it doesn't dissuade me from seeking relevant insurance.

"Ryanair offers very inexpensive tickets - this year, I have averaged 15 euros per flight, all included (no hold baggage). For that price, can you demand to be fed and put up at a hotel ? I feel it wouldn't be fair."

How reasonable of you. So, perhaps you're suggesting that passengers with the cheapest tickets should expect proportionately less customer care than premium ticket holders? If for example I bought a last minute ticket today from Stansted to Dublin at £139.99 (I checked) would that qualify me for passenger rights which are clearly laid out by the EU? Would you even say that the cheapest ticket holders should be the last ones to get off in an accident?

What a silly argument. The price of tickets here is irrelevant: there will be people on each plane who have paid vastly different amounts to be there, but they all have exactly the same rights under EU law. And yes, this does cover free phone calls, food, drinks, and even hotels, when flights are delayed, even when it's not ryanair's fault.

"By now, everybody is aware of the Ryanair position on this subject. In my view, by booking on Ryanair, one accepts it as it stands"

So you're saying, because we know they flout EU laws, we should just accept that? Hmmm, intersting attitude. And if they crashed a plane due to some pilot error or mechanical failure would you just say "well it's ryanair, what do you expect?".

I'm afraid you have not altered my desire to seek appropriate insurance to cover ryanair's tricks.
jt77473
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix on Thu 20 Aug 2009 - 14:19

Here is what the Ryanair site says about it :

http://www.ryanair.com/site/IE/faqs.php?sect=dis&quest=cancelledflights
What happens if my flight is cancelled by Ryanair?

If a Ryanair flight is cancelled and no suitable alternative flight is available, or you have advised Ryanair about your decision not to continue your journey; we will process a refund of all monies paid in respect of the unused flight sectors on your reservation back to the form of payment used to pay for the original booking.
Ryanair does not provide monetary compensation, pursuant under Article 7 of EU Regulation 261/2004 for flights that are delayed or cancelled for reasons beyond Ryanair's control (extraordinary circumstances). As per the regulation such circumstances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected flight safety problems and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier.
Your rights under EU Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004 are unaffected so in the case of denied boarding, flight cancellation or a delay in excess of two hours you will be provided at the airport with a written notice setting out the rules for compensation and assistance in line with the Regulation.

And also :

http://www.ryanair.com/site/FAQS/docs/EU261.pdf

atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by jt77473 on Thu 20 Aug 2009 - 14:26

Correct, they do not provide compensation if circumstance are extraordinary. However, regardless of the cause, for delays they must provide the articles set out here http://www.ukecc.net/sub.asp?id=229

Meals and refreshments in relation to waiting time.

Two free telephone calls, emails, telexes or faxes.

Remember that compensation is TOTALLY DIFFERENT to care and assistance.

Ryanair routinely deny passengers care and assistance which they are obliged under EU law to give out. If they did it to me I would sue them in the small claims court.
jt77473
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top