pre pay mastercard

View previous topic View next topic Go down

pre pay mastercard

Post by Rich00cap on Sun 24 Jan 2010 - 7:50

I have noticed I have booked a lot less flights since the pre pay mastercard was introduced. As I have to physically go to my bank or post office to transfer the money over each time it seems to be a lot more hassle. Has this ridiculous scheme had the effect of Ryanair shooting themselves in the foot?
Rich00cap
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Re: pre pay mastercard

Post by EchoVictorOscar on Sun 24 Jan 2010 - 14:28

Just because you don't like, doesn't mean everyone else is the same. One person isn't going to make a big difference.

But the truth is that a very small percentage of people had/used Visa Electron cards, and therefore there's not many who will transfer to the pre-paid Mastercard. Most people use standard credit cards and pay the €5/10 anyway. If you really want to avoid paying the charge, you'll get used to it and will get on with it. The new system has not been in place a month and people are already having coronaries over it - give it time!!!
EchoVictorOscar
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair on Sun 24 Jan 2010 - 14:57

"... a very small percentage of people had/used Visa Electron cards .."

Michael Cawley said in July 09 that 27% of its bookings across Europe are made using the Visa Electron card. My gut feeling is that more and more pax were using Visa Electron so FR changed to Prepaid MC to outwit them and thus gather more credit card revenue ...

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/irish-cannot-avoid-ryanair-10-credit-card-charge-97544.html#ixzz0dXPn7qSP
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix on Sun 24 Jan 2010 - 15:34

kojadi has found an easy way to get a Mastercard prepaid :

http://ryanair.site-forums.com/questions-about-flights-and-ryanair-f8/what-card-do-you-use-to-avoid-the-visa-mastercard-fees-t1284.htm

I am in the process of getting one in that way; I'll keep you informed - but kojadi assures us it works OK !

That "prepaid card" is a debit card, not a credit card. It means that when buying a ticket your account is debited instantly, not when your credit card account is settled, perhaps one month later. But, at the present interest rates, the gain on bank interest is nearly zero, whilst the gain on the booking is 5 euros per flight.
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2389
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich00cap on Mon 25 Jan 2010 - 19:53

"... a very small percentage of people had/used Visa Electron cards .."

Michael Cawley said in July 09 that 27% of its bookings across Europe are made using the Visa Electron card. My gut feeling is that more and more pax were using Visa Electron so FR changed to Prepaid MC to outwit them and thus gather more credit card revenue ...

Excellent point. Give it a year or so and they'll change to something else. Why can't we have fixed charges depending on what card you use? Surely charging customers £5 per person per flight must be illegal? It does'nt cost them anywhere near that.
Rich00cap
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoVictorOscar on Mon 25 Jan 2010 - 22:52

Rich00cap wrote:Excellent point. Give it a year or so and they'll change to something else. Why can't we have fixed charges depending on what card you use? Surely charging customers £5 per person per flight must be illegal? It does'nt cost them anywhere near that.

Well all airlines do it - so if they pull one airline up over it, they'll have to do them all.
EchoVictorOscar
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich00cap on Tue 26 Jan 2010 - 8:29

I can't think of many airlines that charge a fee £5 PER PASSENGER PER ONE WAY FLIGHT. I think ryanair are unique in this! Most airlines charge a fee I agree, but per transaction regardless of the amount of passengers and flight sectors.
Rich00cap
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoVictorOscar on Tue 26 Jan 2010 - 15:36

Rich00cap wrote:I can't think of many airlines that charge a fee £5 PER PASSENGER PER ONE WAY FLIGHT

Aer Lingus
EchoVictorOscar
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top