Too much hand luggage...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Too much hand luggage...

Post by Joe Bloggs on Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 17:32

On a 737-800 I think there`s 189 seats. How many small cases fit in the
overhead luggage space?

The reason I ask is this...

Due to the cost of checking suitcases into the hold more and more people are taking small suitcases as hand luggage.

The max size of these is approx 55x40x20cm.

Last night I travelled on rival airline Easy Jet and the plane was full.

Most passengers had small cases and the overhead luggage space couldn`t cope.

To solve the problem they put some peoples hand luggage in the hold but all this meant delays to the flight.

Surely this will happen more and more on budget flights as the cost to check in bags increases.

Anyone else had silmilar problems on flights???

Regards

Joe Bloggs
Joe Bloggs
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Too much hand luggage...

Post by Plain Crazy on Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 17:46

Hello Joe

You are correct, there are 189 seats on Ryanair's 737-800's.

Re the number of small cases that will fit into the overhead luggage space - erm... not sure, but I'd be surprised if it was 189!

I appreciate, that as you say, more people are taking cabin baggage.

I can't speak for the rival airlines but have noticed with Ryanair, more especially of late, that more people are being asked to put their cabin baggage in the racks to check for dimensions - and low and behold - if it does not fit, you could end up being in a large spot of bother, both financially and otherwise!

Good idea just the same as the sizes of some of the cabin baggage that I've seen some of the passengers trying to get through with is bordering on ridiculous.

Plain Crazy
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bloggs on Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 17:55

I travelled from Birmingham to Bratislava the other week and every bag went through the bag sizer.

There were two Ryanair staff present and a Policeman to keep order!

Numerous bags were too big and some passengers had more than one bag.

It was good to see the rules being enforced - some paid the excess, one refused and didn`t travel.

You cannot say you don`t know the rules. You tick the box, you get an email and it`s even on your boarding pass - simple.

I suppose these people subsidize my cheap flights!

Joe Bloggs
Joe Bloggs
FR Fan
FR Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair on Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 18:16

Was the Policeman armed with a gun? ... to shoot anyone who did not comply?
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Bloggs on Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 18:23

Er...no. Not a bad idea though.
Joe Bloggs
FR Fan
FR Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix on Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 18:50

If each of the 189 passengers has a bag 55x40x20, the overhead lockers won't be able to swallow them all !
And there are also the coats and vests to be put there, quite a lot of them in winter.
Fortunately, some of the pax have smaller bags, that can be stored under the seat in front - and Ryanair cabin crew urge them to do so if at all possible.
But it can happen that a few bags, even of regular size, cannot be stored in the cabin, for lack of space.
It does not take much time : a member of the handling crew takes them from the cabin and carries them to the hold.

Last edited by atoutprix on Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 20:52; edited 1 time in total
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2389
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by piposerve2fly on Fri 19 Feb 2010 - 19:06

I work at Airport Weeze (Niederrhein) and we have there 3 flights to Marocco (FEZ-AGA-RAK) and my god what these people bring with them i dont know, but sometimes i thing there total house is in the check in bag, and then the problem at boarding gate 2-3 piece of handbags.....

Most of them have to pay for it or the bag wont fly with them, well then it is war time at the boarding gate.
piposerve2fly
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 22
Location : Weeze to be exactly 5.4km or 3.35 miles from Airport Weeze
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Plain Crazy on Sat 20 Feb 2010 - 12:21

Hello piposerve2fly,

Found your story very amusing the way you worded it but totally agree and sympthasise with you!

Plain Crazy
FR Fan
FR Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia on Sat 6 Mar 2010 - 1:38

I've found myself with very stupid situation in Alicante airport in the end of january. I mean in none others done those week like a Wroc│aw, Madrid, Porto, Palma Majorca or even Alicante again was a problem. But during one boarding at Alicante I was force to arguing very hard with some staff member about my hand luggage. It wasn't to heavy, it was stricktly one piece, but the member said it's too large. Non-sense as it was in good size, only need little help to be placed into the basked. All because it was a backpack with plenty of ropes, clips and buckles added.
My next visit at Alicante finished with short interview with member of handling company who told me what is the main reason. The luggage should "suited comfortable" to the basked so everything depends on the undestanding of a word of "comfortable". As far as I know in Alicante "comfortable" means if you put your hand luggage at the top of the basket it must fall down itself.
Really stupid in case of backpacks like my one. I'm curious how does it works in Charleroi, as this airport provides it's own basket which don't allow a hand baggage to fall down itself?
Very short after my come back from Alicante in polish forums appeared many complains about similar stupid situations in many spanish airports. As far as I know, those restrictions will increase very hard since march/april summer-sun peak period Sad
The tip & trick is, that in most of airports staff seemd to be blind on the Duty free shop bags. So if you have too many things inside your handluggage, it might be helpfull.
In april/may I'm going for 8 day trip on the south of Europe. I hope I won't be forced to arguing with staff on similar situation as those in Alicante Sad
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Plain Crazy on Sat 6 Mar 2010 - 10:56

From my own recent observations it seems to depend very much on which country you are in, which airport you are in, and possibly which staff are on duty.

In general, it is easy to see that they are toughening up on the cabin baggage.

Not worth the risk to me though, I always err on the safe side.

Plain Crazy
FR Fan
FR Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanairflyer on Sat 6 Mar 2010 - 15:15

I passed through Brussels (CRL) from Gerona en route to Dublin a few weeks ago.. at Brussels they were very strict they were measuring cabin baggage stood up and also on its sides.. ive not seen this done at a airport before... this caught many passengers out and plenty had to pay the fee. at Brussels they were using a chrome cage AND NOT the ryanair standard although the ryanair cage was there... if i failed in theirs i would insist on using the ryanair cage.. no other passenger did.
Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 1323
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top