Backpack Size

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Backpack Size

Post by Pax3 on Mon 17 May 2010 - 9:23

Hi,

I'm travelling tomorrow morning and I'm only taking a backpack with me in the cabin. However, I'm almost sure that it has more than 55cm height (about 60 or 65), plus with a sleeping bag crossed over its top it should be also a bit wider than it should, but just on top.

I've travelled with other companies (never with a low cost though), and they aren't that rigorous about the size of the cabin luggage - unless you're taking something huge. I mean, the backpack isn't that big (it can easily be placed in the cabin compartment), it might be a just a little over the measures but really just a little. And it shouldn't go over 5kgs, half of what's allowed.

Do you think the staff will raise any issues with this? How severe is Ryanair towards this situation?

Thanks
Pax3
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Backpack Size

Post by amnesia on Mon 17 May 2010 - 10:02

Everything depends on the airport you are departing from, staff boarding you in, etc...
Oficially the size is as you know it and the company is very strict on that. Imagine yourself, if they want to get €1 or so to allow you to enter the onboard toilet, the €40 for your baggage is even more attractive ammount for them, isn't it? Very Happy
Anyway, everything depends on the airport. I know there even is possible to get on plane more than one piece of baggage. But on others like Girona or Alicante they check and double check everything. I saw some arguments that the boarding card is not on the right format - to small or printed on two pages. Actually it was not pax's fall as it's been printed like that originally. And two pages was a reason of national language version which made the page longer. There was no way to explain to the boarding staff and passengers was forced to pay €40 or so for Ryanair's mistake... In other way they were very strict on baggage size. For example my one looks like oversized. But it's not and everytime I'm able to place it in the basket. But there might be some problem as it has many links and clips all over to make it fit more comfortable. Those clips are locking my baggage everytime so I need to help the backpack to be inside the basket. Of course in meaning of staff this way it's oversized as it supposed to "fit comfortable" in the basket which means for them -> "you put your backpack at the top of the basket, you leave it, it falls itself dawn, when it happens and nothing will be outside - it's ok".
So maybe tell us what airports are you going to depart from and we may tell you our experiences with it :-)
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Pax3 on Mon 17 May 2010 - 10:08

I'm flying (or so I hope) from Faro to East Midlands.

Stupid ash cloud....
Pax3
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair on Mon 17 May 2010 - 11:30

another tip is to try to fit your back pack inside the Ryanair metal baggage stands in the airport check in area before you go through to the boarding gate. the back pack must fit in there. this will avoid any last minute difficulties at the boarding gate. if it doesnt fit then best to take out some clothes, wear them onto the plane and beat the Ryanair Luggage Police at the boarding gate! they are always much more concerned about size of bags rather than weight - size is easier to spot at the boarding gate i think ...
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Pax3 on Mon 17 May 2010 - 12:03

ok thx
Pax3
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia on Mon 17 May 2010 - 19:33

Pax3 wrote:I'm flying (or so I hope) from Faro to East Midlands.
I haven't used those airport yet...

About ruinair's tip, the picture below presents what Ryanair makes people to look like at the boarding gates Wink

amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair on Wed 19 May 2010 - 18:38

.... another option is to buy Ryanairs new own-brand carry-on luggage for Ç79!

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-and-samsonite-launch-approved-carry-on-bag
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair on Sun 6 Jun 2010 - 13:39

also make sure your back pack is not too big as in this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OO_zUw8AiA
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaylynn on Sat 4 Jun 2011 - 9:28

Size of the backpack depends on the body-weight of the person... A person can carry only 10% of his body-weight... always purchase backpack according to body weight...same here also use this for backpack for school children...
Jaylynn
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gruenmann on Sat 4 Jun 2011 - 13:15

just f*ck off with your bloody ads in this forum
Gruenmann
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2010-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix on Sat 4 Jun 2011 - 14:15

Jaylynn wrote: A person can carry only 10% of his body-weight...

Some mistake here : a person of, say, 70 kilos can carry more than 7 kg !
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2389
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top