Girona Flight Cancellations

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Girona Flight Cancellations

Post by pompeygazza on Sun 20 Feb 2011 - 11:37

Hi

To be honest I can't say I'm much of a Ryanair fan, because I have flights booked from Girona to Gatwick and back in April, and my girlfriend is visiting me via the same route in March. That's four flights in all. On their website Ryanair claim that they are going to cancel flights to Gatwick from the end of February, yet I've received no official cancellation from them, and my booking still shows as 'confirmed'. Not only that but I see that Ryanair are selling tickets on the Gatwick route until 3rd May. This means they are selling tickets for routes which they have announced plans to cancel. Are the UK or Spanish Governments doing anything about that? It virtually amounts to fraud!

I object to being used as a pawn in Ryanair's spat with the Catalan Government. There are enough pressures in life without having to go through the anxiety of checking every day to see if we'll still be able to fly.

SHAME ON YOU RYANAIR!!!
pompeygazza
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-02-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Girona Flight Cancellations

Post by Ryanairflyer on Sun 20 Feb 2011 - 11:57

It looked like the agreements was in order and flights would continue but and unfortunately the Government backed down and the deal was off again and as a result your flights are due to be cancelled.
I agree there is some admin mis communication and yes it seems flights can still be booked well after the cut off Shocked .
Unsure why you have not received a email offering a refund regarding the same, have you looked in your spam folder?

Aeronautics was neither an industry nor a science. It was a miracle
 Ryanair Ontime-All The Time- Now Boarding Go To Gate  
https://www.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii
Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 1323
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by pompeygazza on Sun 20 Feb 2011 - 12:09

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have checked my spam folder and there are no emails from Ryanair. I've also complained to the CAA and OfT. What Ryanair are doing is outrageous.
pompeygazza
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoVictorOscar on Sun 20 Feb 2011 - 12:22

pompeygazza wrote:What Ryanair are doing is outrageous.

Well the Catalonian Government have backtracked on the previously agreed terms of the contract, so what were Ryanair supposed to do?

When a contract is signed, both sides are supposed to fulfill their obligations. The Government backtracked on their obligations so the airline has every right to pull out of it.

It's an unfortunate situation that you have been put in, as well as many, many other passengers, but you shouldn't be putting the blame on Ryanair. This is the Catalonian Gov's doing.

Disclaimer: All views expressed in the above post are opinion based, unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved, etc.
Smile
EchoVictorOscar
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by pompeygazza on Sun 20 Feb 2011 - 12:31

Shouldn't be putting the blame on Ryanair? What's outrageous is:

1) Ryanair are selling flights which they have cancelled.

2) They are not notifying passengers of the cancellations. They made that announcement 4 days ago and still there are no emails and flights are still showing as confirmed.

I agree that the Catalan Government are at fault for reneging on an agreement. I can't blame Ryanair for pulling out, but they are using their customers as pawns. If they want to cancel flights fair enough, but they should offer refunds or alternatives, and above all STOP SELLING CANCELLED FLIGHTS!!
pompeygazza
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanairflyer on Sun 20 Feb 2011 - 13:18

I know your flight is still showing confirmed which is puzzling- However there are steps you can take without Ryanair contacting you.

Hope this helps

Thanks

What happens if my flight is cancelled by Ryanair?

If a Ryanair flight is cancelled and no suitable alternative flight is available, or you have advised Ryanair about your decision not to continue your journey; we will process a refund of all monies paid in respect of the unused flight sectors on your reservation back to the form of payment used to pay for the original booking.

If you wish to apply for a refund following the cancellation of your flights or if your flight is delayed more than 3 hours and you choose not to fly.

>> Apply for a refund here <<

Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix on Sun 20 Feb 2011 - 13:30

I suggest that the decision is too recent for everything to be already put in order.
18 routes will be cancelled, 17 other reduced in frequency, that makes many thousend of passengers to be notified and it may take some time.
I daresay you will receive a message from Ryanair in due time.
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2389
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix on Sun 20 Feb 2011 - 16:54

Perhaps nothing final yet with GRO.
As someone pointed out on PPRuNe : Fuerteventura did the same in 2008.
As a result, Ryanair stopped flying to FUE at the end of january 2009 and set a base at Lanzarote instead.
Fuerteventura felt the resulting loss and came back to Ryanair "cap in hand"; flights to FUE were resumed in march 2010 ...

See :
http://ryanair.site-forums.com/search?search_keywords=fuerteventura
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2389
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by pompeygazza on Sun 20 Feb 2011 - 18:51

I don't think the Generalitat will go 'cap in hand' to Ryanair. A Canary island is one thing but Spain's arguably most powerful autonomous region, which includes the massive influence of Barcelona, is another. Despite Ryanair's assertion that there will be 1700 job losses you can bet your bottom dollar that won't be the case because there will be plenty of other airlines that can't wait to take over the lucrative Costa Brava market, which also takes in the Pyrennean ski resorts, and Barcelona, one of the most sought after cities in Europe. Rumour has it that Ryanair's replacement has already been arranged. Don't get me wrong, I think what the Generalitat have done is appalling and I don't blame Ryanair for pulling out, but what they've failed to do is show respect to their customers by giving accurate and consistent information. The statement that Mr Cawley gave was inconsistent with what his website was still offering, and that was sloppy, unprofessional and, to be honest, just like the proverbial 'throwing the toys out of the pram'. My prediction is: Ryanair will never return to Girona, will find life harder at Barcelona (same Government), while Girona prospers with a Spanish-owned airline. In the meantime Ryanair will have to cancel thousands of bookings which will lead to thousands of disgruntled customers. There's no denying it - this will be a PR disaster for Ryanair. I bet Stelios is laughing his head off.
pompeygazza
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanairflyer on Sun 20 Feb 2011 - 20:35

Poilitics always ruins the day... Unfortunately it is the General public that suffer and will once more in this case - Ryanair admin can be improved granted..but looking at the situation on a grander scale I personally believe the Spanish public have or will lose out.Looking on the positive side yourself and thousands of others like the airline and it's policies and chose to fly Ryanair.. it's just sad how when things do go wrong nobody remembers the good.
Stelios may laugh .. (I would like to see them take on the same routes) and if they did I am sure flying orange would cost the locals a lot more to leave the spanish mainland and will never offer as many local routes for such low prices as Ryanair. Spain creating a low cost airline I am sure will be on the cards, maybe Real madrid fc will create their own Airline called The Real Airline they are €Loaded .. No seriously One door closes and one more opens. Again the business world can be barbaric at times. Time will tell I hope they keep GRO i fly there almost once a month.

Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by pompeygazza on Sun 20 Feb 2011 - 21:06

This could lead to a lengthy debate, but in the meantime Ryanair are STILL SELLING FLIGHTS THAT HAVE BEEN CANCELLED. Can you justify that??

pompeygazza
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanairflyer on Sun 20 Feb 2011 - 21:13

pompeygazza wrote:This could lead to a lengthy debate, but in the meantime Ryanair are STILL SELLING FLIGHTS THAT HAVE BEEN CANCELLED. Can you justify that??

!!Ouch!! my ears- you are correct it could lead to a lenghty debate but it does seem to be stuck in the holding pattern on a 360 degree set course.

with that in mind i will lock this thread and see how things develop.

Good debate all.

Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content