Names on Passport

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Names on Passport

Post by lizandbrian on Tue 8 Mar 2011 - 15:00

Can anyone confirm a fact for me. I usually book our flights direct with Ryanair and am anal about getting the details correct. I put the exact names that are on the passports on the booking form. My sons given name on his passport is Brian Thomas George and this is what i always declare. However, i was booking thru Travel Republic and decided to just let them book the flights (Ryanair) along with the accommodation and transfers.
Their agent said she only needed the first name of Brian and not the Thomas George and that was what came through on the booking confirmation for Ryanair. I questioned this and was told to phone the airline myself to query it and that call cost me £9.50. The Ryanair agent stated that it should be the given name on the passport which was declared and that was Brian Thomas George. That cost me another £10. I complained to Travel Republic but they said they had also phoned Ryanair for confirmation of names required and were told that Brian would be sufficient. CAN YOU TELL ME WHO IS RIGHT. I changed it for my own peace of mind as i didnt want to get to the airport and be questioned about difference in boarding pass and passport.
avatar
lizandbrian
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 13
Location : fife scotland
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Names on Passport

Post by j2op on Tue 8 Mar 2011 - 15:12

I haven't understood that well, however you can give just the first passport name. No need to call. for another time, don't use an intermediary, but go by yourself on ryanair's site
avatar
j2op
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 170
Location : BGY, NRN, EIN
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Names on Passport

Post by lizandbrian on Tue 8 Mar 2011 - 15:26

thank you for the advice. I will do it direct next time as i have done so many times before and have never had any trouble whatsoever with my Ryanair flights. Its done now so it gives me peace of mind to know everything will be ok at the airport. I was charged £10 to adjust the name but have been reading that a change of name incurs a £100 charge. Hope Ryanair dont come back at me for another £90???
avatar
lizandbrian
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 13
Location : fife scotland
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Names on Passport

Post by anna1981 on Tue 8 Mar 2011 - 16:06

No...a name change fee is 100 GBP, however an amendment is only 10 GBP.

Having or not having the middle name on the booking has always been an issue. If you don't put in the middle name there is a 99% chance at the airport they won't say anything.....but for that 1 % is better not to take the chance because if they do say something than you probably miss the flight and have to pay way more. Better safe than sorry.
avatar
anna1981
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 71
Location : unknown
Registration date : 2010-06-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Names on Passport

Post by lizandbrian on Tue 8 Mar 2011 - 16:25

My thoughts exactly. Its a surprise family holiday for my husbands 60 birthday and didnt want to take any chances. Im just annoyed that I gave the agent at travel republic his full name and she said it wasnt necessary. As you say chances are it would have been ok but best not to tempt providence.
Can look forward to my hols now. Smile
Thanks to everyone for their advice and glad im not going to be chased to another £90............
avatar
lizandbrian
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 13
Location : fife scotland
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Names on Passport

Post by si2008 on Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 21:52

i have also booked with ryanair throu its website fir holiday in aug myself wife and 2 kids, it only says firsts name and surname so i only put in first name and surname not any middle names but passport has middle names in, now wondering if i should have put in middle names when i filled in passanger names while i was booking,,has anybody any idea ,about this now worried
avatar
si2008
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 5
Location : north west
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Names on Passport

Post by stuart from barnsley on Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 22:03

I have only ever put my first name and surname in and also the same for my wife and have never had a problem and I fly about 40 times per year so you should be OK.
avatar
stuart from barnsley
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 54
Location : Barnsley and Aquadulce
Registration date : 2008-10-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Names on Passport

Post by si2008 on Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 22:07

stuart from barnsley wrote:I have only ever put my first name and surname in and also the same for my wife and have never had a problem and I fly about 40 times per year so you should be OK.

thanks barns;ey i thought that, with website only asking for first name and surname ...i,m sure knowing ryanair if the wanted you to put any middle names on the would have provide a space for it
avatar
si2008
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 5
Location : north west
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Names on Passport

Post by lizandbrian on Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 23:10

I realise what everyone is saying but Ryanair agent said 95% of check in staff would accept only the first and last name but was not taking a chance on getting one of the other 5%. I have always booked direct over the internet with Ryanair and always declared the full names. There is no distinction on the passport between first name and middle names. The Ryanair agent said it should show the "Given Name" and the given name on my son's passport is Brian Thomas George so that is why i opted to pay the £10 for an amendment so i didnt have any doubts. I can plan my hols with peace of mind now and will always book direct myself in future.
avatar
lizandbrian
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 13
Location : fife scotland
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Names on Passport

Post by lizandbrian on Tue 15 Mar 2011 - 23:16

In addition to the above comment it does state on the Ryanair website during the booking process (in big bold red letters) that
"All passenger names must match those in the passport/accepted travel document".
avatar
lizandbrian
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 13
Location : fife scotland
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Names on Passport

Post by si2008 on Wed 16 Mar 2011 - 0:50

well to now change and put middle name would cost me £400 .so i,m going to go with just first name and surnames .chance i will have to take .my name is in passport so ok,,i missed out middle name when booking with Ra ,,chance i will have to take
and it does match what is in my passport


Last edited by si2008 on Wed 16 Mar 2011 - 1:01; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistake)
avatar
si2008
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 5
Location : north west
Registration date : 2011-03-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Names on Passport

Post by confused1 on Wed 13 Apr 2011 - 21:38

I just booked flights for myself and my boyfriend, i got distracted and ended up typing my name correctly, but then for him, i put his forename correct but then i gave him MY surname by mistake..... do u think i will i have to pay the €100 for the name change??? Plus now i cant ring them up until tomorrow morning! is there any way of contacting them now???
avatar
confused1
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 3
Location : Ireland
Registration date : 2011-04-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Names on Passport

Post by lizandbrian on Wed 13 Apr 2011 - 23:13

Dont have an answer to your question as they said mine was only a name amendment and not a change so i dont know how they will class a mistake of a completely different name. hope you get a sympathetic agent. good luck.
avatar
lizandbrian
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 13
Location : fife scotland
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Names on Passport

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum