Strange seating options.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Strange seating options.

Post by CaptainS on Wed 9 Mar 2011 - 14:17

Why; when I got on my Boeing 737 800, did the cabin crew say that nobody is allowed to sit in the first four rows (then put people in them anyway)?

On my return flight they said it was so they could balance the aircraft.

Eh?
CaptainS

Back to top Go down

Re: Strange seating options.

Post by ALEXANDRECCFAIRPORT on Wed 9 Mar 2011 - 14:41

for your first question, cabin crew have to keep seats for people who need a special assistance. And it depends of number of pax on the aircraft ...

Rule 1 : If the pax load is less tahn 177 then we block off row 3 and 4

Rule 2 : If the pax load is less tahn 132 we block off rows 1 to 6 in the forward and rows 30 to 33 in the rear of the aircraft.

But i know that at the end of the boarding some cabin crew allowed passengers to be seat on those rows. But normally it's NO !!!! but all ryanair cabin crew are very very nice Smile
ALEXANDRECCFAIRPORT
FR Veteran
FR Veteran

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2010-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ALEXANDRECCFAIRPORT on Wed 9 Mar 2011 - 14:42

than not tahn sorry Smile
ALEXANDRECCFAIRPORT
FR Veteran
FR Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by photon on Wed 9 Mar 2011 - 18:55

ALEXANDRECCFAIRPORT wrote:for your first question, cabin crew have to keep seats for people who need a special assistance. And it depends of number of pax on the aircraft ...

Rule 1 : If the pax load is less tahn 177 then we block off row 3 and 4

Rule 2 : If the pax load is less tahn 132 we block off rows 1 to 6 in the forward and rows 30 to 33 in the rear of the aircraft.

But i know that at the end of the boarding some cabin crew allowed passengers to be seat on those rows. But normally it's NO !!!! but all ryanair cabin crew are very very nice Smile

Actually according to my SEP manual and cabin crew training in 2010, if it is 129 or less= block off rows 3 to 8 and the last 4 rows.
I'm guessing this revision is to consider a quicker evacuation of passengers through the main exits, rather than through the overwing exits, and possible ABP's in a no time available on row 1. The other possibility is to allow the carriage of PRM's in the 1st row without being affected by the rule 2.

I'm no longer a No4, so if you are still crew this rule might have changed.

To answer the question, blocking of the rear and forward aisle allows an even distrubution of passengers or mass, since the aircraft needs to be balanced according to the position of it's Centre of Gravity.
Otherwise there's a possibility of 129 passengers choosing the aft portion of the cabin an out of trim situation at takeoff and possible tail strike/accident.

Other airlines that assign seat numbers avoid blocking off the rows via the tray tables by assigning pax to specified seat numbers on the boarding card.
photon
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2009-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ALEXANDRECCFAIRPORT on Wed 9 Mar 2011 - 18:59

For me cabin crew it's finished Smile
ALEXANDRECCFAIRPORT
FR Veteran
FR Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanairflyer on Fri 11 Mar 2011 - 1:05

I do like Ryanair ... but in the past i have had 1 or 2cabin crew that know very little...ok they might have been new to the job.. but safety is safety.. and my pet hate is when teeny crew are laffin at each other while doing the safety demo... funny insnt it, they make up rules on the spot... now its only a small pecentage but .. it really gets to me when pax are more in the know of crew lol..... numbers ones can act like number 2s at times.... my rant over.. Rolling Eyes

last rows on 738s are apparently emergency exits... well on some flights they are and others they are not.... my son was unable to sit on such a row because he was 15 but on our return on the same row a 5 year old..strange... thats why i prefer to sit way up front lookin out of the window ahead.. study

Aeronautics was neither an industry nor a science. It was a miracle
 Ryanair Ontime-All The Time- Now Boarding Go To Gate  
https://www.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii
Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 1323
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by photon on Fri 11 Mar 2011 - 11:01

Ryanairflyer wrote:I do like Ryanair ... but in the past i have had 1 or 2cabin crew that know very little...ok they might have been new to the job.. but safety is safety.. and my pet hate is when teeny crew are laffin at each other while doing the safety demo... funny insnt it, they make up rules on the spot... now its only a small pecentage but .. it really gets to me when pax are more in the know of crew lol..... numbers ones can act like number 2s at times.... my rant over.. Rolling Eyes

last rows on 738s are apparently emergency exits... well on some flights they are and others they are not.... my son was unable to sit on such a row because he was 15 but on our return on the same row a 5 year old..strange... thats why i prefer to sit way up front lookin out of the window ahead.. study

How do you determine that they know very little????

The SEP is a 500 paged manual (bible) written with diagrams by Boeing and Ryanair detailing specific drills, locations of safety equipment, drills when refueling, drills, when not refueling, drills for time available, no time available. Fighting fires using specific fire extinguishers, PBE's, fire axe, fire glove. PDI checks before departure, checking all equipment is servicable band, stowed in specific loations, in the pressure gauge, in the green, suspicioius objects, bomb drill, sterile check of the cabin. ditching, time available/ no time available. Flight deck door code, flight crew incapciation drill, depressurisation drill, oven fire, toilet fire, smoke, toilet fire, vacuum pump drill. Hear attack, choking, stroke, every medical scenario you can think of and specific step by step drills.
This is just a taster of the many drills we had to learn, practice and be tested and will challenge even for yourself sir.

5 weeks of intensive training (no training for the safety demo or serving drinks or customer service) with a required 90% pass. The crew are there for safety of aircraft passengers and crew, serving drinks is just to ensure the crew are making the airline some revenue.
But typically depending on the capacity, each cabin crew is assigned an emergency exit door, For the 778 this is 4 for the 4 main doors or less if the number of pax reaches a lower value according to our flightplan, ie No 4 is reponsible for L2 door, arming and disarming and evacuating.

And to ensure our knowedge is current, in our flight briefing with the crew and flightcrew we are required to answer a safety related question plus the flightdeck code for that sector. A fail in the answer will prevent that cabin crew from operating on that flight and require re-training.

I'm sorry but you have no idea, it is a skilled career and not just a job you walk into sir.
photon
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanairflyer on Sat 12 Mar 2011 - 6:28

photon wrote:
Ryanairflyer wrote:I do like Ryanair ... but in the past i have had 1 or 2cabin crew that know very little...ok they might have been new to the job.. but safety is safety.. and my pet hate is when teeny crew are laffin at each other while doing the safety demo... funny insnt it, they make up rules on the spot... now its only a small pecentage but .. it really gets to me when pax are more in the know of crew lol..... numbers ones can act like number 2s at times.... my rant over.. Rolling Eyes

How do you determine that they know very little????

The SEP is a 500 paged manual (bible) written with diagrams by Boeing and Ryanair detailing specific drills, locations of safety equipment, drills when refueling, drills, when not refueling, drills for time available, no time available. Fighting fires using specific fire extinguishers, PBE's, fire axe, fire glove. PDI checks before departure, checking all equipment is servicable band, stowed in specific loations, in the pressure gauge, in the green, suspicioius objects, bomb drill, sterile check of the cabin. ditching, time available/ no time available. Flight deck door code, flight crew incapciation drill, depressurisation drill, oven fire, toilet fire, smoke, toilet fire, vacuum pump drill. Hear attack, choking, stroke, every medical scenario you can think of and specific step by step drills.
This is just a taster of the many drills we had to learn, practice and be tested and will challenge even for yourself sir.

5 weeks of intensive training (no training for the safety demo or serving drinks or customer service) with a required 90% pass. The crew are there for safety of aircraft passengers and crew, serving drinks is just to ensure the crew are making the airline some revenue.
But typically depending on the capacity, each cabin crew is assigned an emergency exit door, For the 778 this is 4 for the 4 main doors or less if the number of pax reaches a lower value according to our flightplan, ie No 4 is reponsible for L2 door, arming and disarming and evacuating.

And to ensure our knowedge is current, in our flight briefing with the crew and flightcrew we are required to answer a safety related question plus the flightdeck code for that sector. A fail in the answer will prevent that cabin crew from operating on that flight and require re-training.

I'm sorry but you have no idea, it is a skilled career and not just a job you walk into sir.

How do i determine you are saine But nice to see you can copy n paste-Simply stating what happened on a real world flight ..sorry you take it to heart unless you were the numbnutt in the cabin... so customers views mean nothing..to you anyway.. remember pax maybe more in the know hope you are not crew god help us. Education these days suck... if pilots had your attitude ..well

Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by photon on Sat 12 Mar 2011 - 9:59

I fail to see why it is an offence for crew to laugh while performing the safety demo.
As long as it was performed correctly then that is okay, and the passengers are entitled to ask the crew if they had mis understood any of the instructions.
The safety demo is a simple set of instructions for the passengers, and are also shown on the safety card in front of the seat.

It is simply unacceptable to offend the proffesion of somebody when you have never been employed or trained in that field.
In future just sit in your seat and keep your mouth shut, there are a lot of things that go on in the cabin which you don't see, other than the safety demo and drinks service.

There are too many narrow minded people out there who 'think' they have a right to an opinion of a subject or profession that they know nothing about.

Should you really be moderator on this forum?

photon
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanairflyer on Sat 12 Mar 2011 - 15:51

photon wrote:

I fail to see why it is an offence for crew to laugh while performing the safety demo.
As long as it was performed correctly then that is okay, and the passengers are entitled to ask the crew if they had mis understood any of the instructions.
The safety demo is a simple set of instructions for the passengers, and are also shown on the safety card in front of the seat.

It is simply unacceptable to offend the proffesion of somebody when you have never been employed or trained in that field.
In future just sit in your seat and keep your mouth shut
, there are a lot of things that go on in the cabin which you don't see, other than the safety demo and drinks service.

There are too many narrow minded people out there who 'think' they have a right to an opinion of a subject or profession that they know nothing about.

Should you really be moderator on this forum?

In future just sit in your seat and keep your mouth shut
bounce You are a nice person .... this is not in the training manual...

How do you know i have not been crew?..I have spent many a time at EGNX and also EGGW ok not no thrills aviation is in my blood... !!do not judge!!
Would it be respectful to crew and other passengers if some lowlife was laffing but were listening at the same time - while crew were doing the safety demo? yes safety. two of the crew were not capable ..so training went in one ear and out of the other.. it happens..i just aired my views and you took offence and defend incapable crew... thats upto you.

I am not offending any crew - just those that got my attention for the wrong reasons (in my opinion) they are probably not in the job anymore... anyway....it's unfortunate some dont take their responsibilities serious... maybe pay to train sometimes attracts the wrong sort. Years back crew needed a good level of education just to be considered.. how standards are slipping.

Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanairflyer on Sat 12 Mar 2011 - 16:20

seems to me the Autopilot is taking you good people to the wrong destination .. unfortunately we will need to divert and offload as soon as possible.. this flight is over.cabin crew seats for landing.

Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content