Can I take on these as handbaggage?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can I take on these as handbaggage?

Post by 111KAB on Wed 31 Aug 2011 - 18:20

Couple of items I want to take on as handbaggage - first item is serious - 2nd less so!

I am flying RyanAir to Palma only with handbaggage but when I get there I am hiring a motorbike to tour the island. Due to insurance excess of the bike I think it sensible to take my own bike chain/padlock to secure the bike. Mine is top of the range and costs around ú140 in UK and not even available in Mallorca. Weighs around 4kg so no weight problem and size ok but is this likely to cause a problem with airport security? The reason I ask was that on a similar flight recently I took 15m of bungee cord (elasticated stuff) and had to convince the security staff that I wasn't going to use it as a ligature to strangle/tie up cabin staff - I joke you not Shocked

Second issue is I want to take my own crash helmet - measures 24.5 cm so in excess of the 20cm width. I think I'm just going to risk it as other than the chain I have no other handbaggage with the exception of my passport. How would RyanAir react if I wore it to board the plane? Accept I may have to remove for passport identification! Unfortunately it is black so I can't say I'm the Stig! Cool

Serious questions and I doubt anyone has had a similar problem but would appreciate your thoughts.
111KAB
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-08-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Can I take on these as handbaggage?

Post by crazybob on Wed 31 Aug 2011 - 23:25

well sounds to me you are an adventurous guy Very Happy

You may try to put the chain around your neck and tell everyone it is a part of your fashion style (AFAIK there are no restrictions about this) Laughing
With the helmet it is purely up to your luck, sometimes I see people traveling with oversized luggage and nobody gives a **** and other time/crew would charge for a purse, camera,...
What you can do is wait till the very last moment and then get in the line to board the plane. I once did this in Barcelona- first everybody lined up and Ryanair crew checked the dimensions of everybody┤s luggage. Then they returned to the desk and started checking the boarding passes. As the crew was busy, I stepped in the line, presented my ticket and walked past them without any trouble because they didn┤t have time to check my backpack. It would probably pass both weigh and dimension limit, but I would have to squeeze it a lot and possibly throw out some stuff. Anyway, like this I didn┤t have to deal with the situation at all.

Good luck, when are you going? I am flying to Mallorca too at the end of october :-)
crazybob
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by 111KAB on Fri 2 Sep 2011 - 9:45

crazybob wrote:
Good luck, when are you going? I am flying to Mallorca too at the end of october :-)

I'm out in three weeks time - in fairness I don't think the bike chain is likely to be a problem to RyanAir but more to airport security check. Tried asking the question on BHX.co.uk (Birmingham) but no help on their website other than checking on what is allowed/what isn't and obviously security chains do not feature. Back in October - will let you know how I got on Smile
111KAB
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: