Ideas for Maximising Carry On Luggage Allowance

Go down

Ideas for Maximising Carry On Luggage Allowance

Post by frcrilly on Thu 22 Dec 2011 - 15:36

I thought it would be a good idea to put a thread together on this topic as there may be useful things that someone else has thought of that you havenít (and vice versa). Iíll start. Feel free to fire anything relevant on this thread even if slightly over the top.

Thanks in Advance for all Responses

1. It appears to me that a significant number of people are unaware of the size of Ryanairs carry on luggage allowance. In relation to the three trolley suitcase set (where one fits inside the other), it usually equates to the medium suitcase and not the small one as most people seem to believe.

As sizes may vary between manufacturers, it might be a good idea to fit the suitcase into the baggage frame as an experiment when youíre at the airport for non flying purposes (eg picking someone up). To prevent it getting stuck, make sure to pack the hard stuff on the bottom of the suitcase (when the suitcase is lying on itís back) and put the soft stuff on the top. (my suitcase got stuck once because I left a bottle standing up). In the event your bag gets stuck, itís useful to put the baggage frame on its back before trying to remove the bag as this will get rid of the negative effect of gravity.

2. For a party of (say) 5 people, I would suggest each member could carry the above size bag. You could book priority boarding for 2 of the 5 and instruct them to rush to the back of the plane, take over an entire overhead baggage section by putting their suitcases sideways and take over an entire row of seats by both parties taking the aisle seats. As the other 3 parties arrive, 1 can look for an alternative overhead bin to put their bag in while the other 2 use the remaining space within the already blocked off overhead bin. (I believe each section of overhead bins can hold 4 of the above sized bags). Everyone may then sit together in the blocked off row, obviously doing everything they can to efficiently aid a passenger wishing to sit in the remaining seat.

(While the above may sound competitive, please donít think my intention is to be selfish. I have noticed people on Ryanair flights being incredibly wasteful of overhead bin space by thinking of whatís best for themselves rather than whatís best for the group as a whole eg bags thrown in sideways or bags that can fit underneath seats being thrown into overhead bins. I would argue that the above approach ensures maximisation of overhead bin space.)

3. Buy one of those specially made coats that allows you to carry luggage on your person. (I donít know any details about these coats).
frcrilly
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-05-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Ideas for Maximising Carry On Luggage Allowance

Post by frcrilly on Thu 22 Dec 2011 - 16:08

frcrilly wrote:and take over an entire row of seats by both parties taking the aisle seats.

Or alternatively take over 2 adjoining half rows.
frcrilly
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-05-18

Back to top Go down