Swissport Strike at Stansted

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Swissport Strike at Stansted

Post by canary boy on Thu 24 May 2012 - 13:12

Ryanair have announced that some flights will accept checked baggage this weekend. I am flying to spain this weekend so how do I know if i can check in my case (that I have already paid for!) or not? Any answers or information please
canary boy
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-24

Back to top Go down

Baggage Handlers' Dispute Stansted Jubilee Weekend

Post by slavica on Tue 29 May 2012 - 10:27

Canary Boy, have you flown yet? We have a question about the same thing and can't find any info on the Ryanair website, or anywhere, actually. We are due to fly by Ryanair to Trieste from Stansted on Tuesday 5 June. Does anyone know what the current situation is regarding checked-on baggage? We don't normally take cases but this time my friend is taking a case, which of course she has paid for. If we book in on-line, I understand that the details of the booking can't be changed and we don't know what to do about her case. I don't suppose she would get a refund anyway, but it's a bit annoying not knowing what to do. Can anyone who has flown via Stansted during this baggage handlers strike tell us what the situation is? If my friend turns up with her case and they won't accept it, what is she supposed to do with it!! Thanks. Slavica
slavica
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-05-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Swissport Strike at Stansted

Post by Ryanairflyer on Tue 29 May 2012 - 11:22

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/may/21/ryanair-stansted-baggage-handlers-strike
Ryanair faces disruption over Stansted baggage handlers' strike

GMB members to walk out in June over rota changes, though airline's owner says 'we just won't check in bags'

Ryanair passengers face the threat of disruption at Stansted airport over the jubilee weekend after baggage handlers announced seven days of strikes.

GMB union members employed by Swissport, an airport services business, are poised to walk out from 5.30am on 2 June until 5.30am on 6 June.

Ryanair's chief executive, Michael O'Leary, said the strikes would have no effect. "The unions do this every bank holiday. They always seem to find a way of climbing back. It really doesn't matter. Flights will continue, we just won't check in bags." He said that since his airline had imposed swingeing charges on checked baggage, only 25% of passengers used the handlers' service anyway.

Aeronautics was neither an industry nor a science. It was a miracle
 Ryanair Ontime-All The Time- Now Boarding Go To Gate  
https://www.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii
Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 1323
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by slavica on Tue 29 May 2012 - 16:11

Thanks. But I wish someone from Ryanair would tell us what we should do about the suitcase on Tuesday morning. Question
slavica
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by canary boy on Tue 29 May 2012 - 16:55

Hi Slavica
Just to let you know that we flew on Sunday and there were no problems at all. Our suitcase was checked in as normal. Can't guarantee the same will happen to you but I think it is a case (forgive the pun!) of Ryanair covering themselves if they can't check it in?
I really can't believe for example that a Spanish Family turn up at Stansted to return to Spain after a 2 week break with 3 Suitcases that they would have to abandon them at the airport?
Good Luck anyway
canary boy
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by slavica on Wed 30 May 2012 - 22:28

Hi Canary Boy. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe it's not going to be such a disaster after all. I will tell my friend and then she will have to decide what to do. Yes, you are right, in the scenario you give, how could they not put their baggage on? It would be dreadful.

If anyone else has any experiences on this subject, do please post them.

Thanks.

Slavica
slavica
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Strike

Post by Sarahlee71 on Sun 3 Jun 2012 - 14:03

I would really like to know if they are definitely taking hold baggage or not also!!! Please does anyone know for sure?
Sarahlee71
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top