COULD'NT FLY TODAY DUE TO EXPIRY DATE PROBLEM, PLEASE READ

View previous topic View next topic Go down

COULD'NT FLY TODAY DUE TO EXPIRY DATE PROBLEM, PLEASE READ

Post by dave1972 on Thu 9 Aug 2012 - 16:04

My future Mother in Law was due to visit us today from Latvia, unfortunately she was not allowed past passport control because her expiry date is 'too long' it expires 22/8/2057.

We checked this out when we checked in on line a couple of weeks, she has not flown before so we wanted to check everything ourselves. When we couldnt select the correct expiry date, you can only select up to 2033 on the drop down menu, we gave Ryan Air a call for advice .

A Girl checked it out and said there would be no problem , just iuse the date after your return flight, no problem we did that and completed check in on line that day.

We have just come back from East Mids airport, no Mother in Law on flight, the poor lady was refused access due to the expiry date on her passport set too far ahead!!!!

As you can imagine my partner and i are fuming and have just rang Ryan Air to 'air' my views...
They state something different now and are saying select the last expiry date in the drop down menu, and there is nothing they can to compensate or rebook another flight.

I stated this was not good enough, we have only followed your instructions and have done nothing wrong, and we are not about to waste £150 for flights..

The girl came back to us after speaking to her superior i can onl presume, and we were told if we ring back in two hours , they will have an answer from headquarters..

I',m still scratching my head wondering how this could have happenned, if they give us another flight for free or compensate in full i will report to Watchdog and Trading Standards.

Can anyone else assist me on this one, the guy in Latvia on passport control, claims this is happening every day!
dave1972
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: COULD'NT FLY TODAY DUE TO EXPIRY DATE PROBLEM, PLEASE READ

Post by dave1972 on Thu 9 Aug 2012 - 17:18

EDIT

just looked into this further, before i ring RA back, the passport centre issue these 50 year expiry date passports for the over 60''s in Latvia, but passport control dont accept them to travel abroad, no matter what date you enter on RA check in form!!
Ryan air know this as passport control guys claims i quote "it happens everyday , there's nothing you can do"

this must be happenning everyday, a complete scam by Ryan Air to make more money as they must be well aware of this problem.
dave1972
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoVictorOscar on Thu 9 Aug 2012 - 21:28

How exactly were Ryanair to know that your mother cannot travel abroad on her passport if you didn't tell them?

Surely your mother would have known that she cannot travel abroad considering it is her passport, no?

Disclaimer: All views expressed in the above post are opinion based, unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved, etc.
Smile
EchoVictorOscar
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dave1972 on Thu 9 Aug 2012 - 23:31

EchoVictorOscar wrote:How exactly were Ryanair to know that your mother cannot travel abroad on her passport if you didn't tell them?

Surely your mother would have known that she cannot travel abroad considering it is her passport, no?

Its my future mother in law and she has never flown before so we we'rnt to know, we just checked her expiry date, which was well in date, like the rest of us do, no need to check any further i guess. These 50 year passports are pretty much useless, border control changed these rules very recently but didnt decide to tell anyone, they dont accept them at all, ryan air wont refund or offer another flight, not their fault they say, i understand its border control, but some info would be nice

she will have to apply for 10 year passport now, thats the only way she can fly
dave1972
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryanairflyer on Fri 10 Aug 2012 - 11:01

I wonder if any other airline would allow an online booking to be made with the same passport.. if so would they offer a refund, I'm guessing it will be upto the passenger to make sure all travel documents-passports and visas etc are in order and this would be the responsibility of the passenger.... if border control has stopped these passports recently- one would think it fair to give passengers holding the same a certain amount of time to replace it and still be able to fly.

Aeronautics was neither an industry nor a science. It was a miracle
 Ryanair Ontime-All The Time- Now Boarding Go To Gate  
https://www.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii
Ryanairflyer
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 1323
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by szikor on Thu 16 Aug 2012 - 12:41

Just one small thing: if you mother-in-law was turned away by border police where does ryanair come into the picture? I don't think it is the airlines responsibility to know every stupid rule for every country...
BTW doesn't she have a national ID card? She could have traveled on that within the EU.
szikor
FR Fan
FR Fan

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top