Doublebass in the hold?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Doublebass in the hold?

Post by nicodoublebass on Sat 25 Aug 2012 - 14:25

Hi,

I need sort of an official answer to this question: can I take my travel doublebass in the hold of a ryanair plane?

I explain the situation:

I'm a professional musician.
I have a detachable neck doublebass that fits in a flightcase of 130cm x 75cm x 42 cm, for less than 20kg.
I know that under payment of 50€ per flight I can get a big music instruments such a harp or a doublebass in the hold. Nonetheless dimensions should not exceed 119 x 119 x 81

I quote the conditions on Ryanair's website:

Sporting or musical equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bikes* (bikes have a weight limit of 30 kilos), scooters, fencing equipment, pole vaults, javelin, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis and large musical instruments including but not limited to harps, double bass and drums are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However, these items may be carried in the hold of the aircraft in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance up to a limit of 20 kilos per item upon payment of a discounted online fee of £50/€50 per item, per one way flight. If the item is purchased at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre a higher fee of £60/€60 per item/per one way flight will apply). Any sporting and musical item weighing over the 20 kilos allowance will be charged for the excess at the applicable excess baggage rate per kilo

and

For health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth). This weight limit does not apply to mobility equipment.

On this same forum I have found that skies of 175cm long can be carried in the hold as their combined measures don't exceed the limitations. That makes me think that such allowance would extend to my doublebass as well. I have contacted Ryanair's call center and tried to have a written confirmation of that but no-one would give that and twice the phone's been hung up.

Could someone please let me know for sure before I pay 100€ and show up at the airport without being sure of being able to take the flight?

Thank you
Nicola
nicodoublebass
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-08-25

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top