Unacompannied Minors Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unacompannied Minors Question

Post by CF on Tue 11 Nov 2008 - 23:58

Hello,

I need to know can a 16 year old travel alone without ANYBODY being at the airport with them to check them in/sign forums etc.

so can a 16 year old travel as a normal 18 year old adult?

Need 100% confirmation of it and their FAQ doesn't really clarify it for me

Ta
CF
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Unacompannied Minors Question

Post by stevestrac on Wed 12 Nov 2008 - 2:14

After reading http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=chd&quest=uam I would say to your question, "I need to know can a 16 year old travel alone without ANYBODY being at the airport with them to check them in/sign forums etc."

I would say, no. A couple of cuts and pastes from that page..........

Ryanair will carry unaccompanied minors aged 14 or 15 years ONLY upon completion and signature of a form of indemnity at check-in of EACH departure airport, by a parent or guardian.
As such, this does not affect a 16 year old.

Unaccompanied minors aged 14 -17 years travelling must present the required valid photo-id at check-in. The parent or guardian of the unaccompanied minors, are required to remain in the airport until the flight has departed.
With reference to a 16 year old, it seems someone HAS to be there until flight has taken off. How they would police this I have no idea.

There is further information on there with regard to certain countries, although you haven't mentioned where the flight was to.

In short, I would say, without being an authority on the subject, you will not have to fill out any forms, BUT it would appear a parent or guardian HAS to be at the airport until departure of the aircraft.
stevestrac
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by CF on Wed 12 Nov 2008 - 18:43

I'd just be going to England.

as you said, how could they police that? they're not going to have the parent put in a pen and hold them there, they're not going to have the check in agent follow them around until the flight has gone. be a bit strange if the parent just had to be there and do nothing?

I could get someone to be there but not for the return flight.

tis a right pain
CF
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by stevestrac on Thu 13 Nov 2008 - 1:46

It might be time to call Ryanair then to clarify, especially for the return flight. If you go to this website http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php and search for Ryanair, use the top number as it appears you are in Ireland, that way you will only be calling a Dublin number, rather than a premium rate number Very Happy

I only say that, as it might be a condition that the check-in agent at least "sees" the parent/guardian during the check-in and failure of this may refuse in you being able to check-in alone.
stevestrac
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by CF on Sun 16 Nov 2008 - 14:35

that just gives me the normal google results and no numbers at all Question
CF
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by don_salvatore87 on Sun 16 Nov 2008 - 17:04

call +353 1249 7791
don_salvatore87
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 144
Location : Gothenburg, Sweden, closest airport: Gothenburg City Airport
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by don_salvatore87 on Mon 17 Nov 2008 - 0:04

stevestrac wrote:After reading http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=chd&quest=uam I would say to your question, "I need to know can a 16 year old travel alone without ANYBODY being at the airport with them to check them in/sign forums etc."

I would say, no. A couple of cuts and pastes from that page..........

Ryanair will carry unaccompanied minors aged 14 or 15 years ONLY upon completion and signature of a form of indemnity at check-in of EACH departure airport, by a parent or guardian.
As such, this does not affect a 16 year old.

Unaccompanied minors aged 14 -17 years travelling must present the required valid photo-id at check-in. The parent or guardian of the unaccompanied minors, are required to remain in the airport until the flight has departed.
With reference to a 16 year old, it seems someone HAS to be there until flight has taken off. How they would police this I have no idea.

There is further information on there with regard to certain countries, although you haven't mentioned where the flight was to.

In short, I would say, without being an authority on the subject, you will not have to fill out any forms, BUT it would appear a parent or guardian HAS to be at the airport until departure of the aircraft.

As you are seen as an adult from 16 years when travelling with FR it shouldn't be a problem, guardian is needed when you are from 14-15 and the guardian will have to sign the Idemnity-form and remain at the airport until departure. It's correct that you cannot use the Check'N'Go facility when under 18 and travelling alone, Unaccompanied minors aged 14 -17 years travelling must present the required valid photo-id at check-in ? Must be a typo?! It should be 14-15.

UPDATE
Checked with the swedish version of the same page and it says:
Passagerare mellan 14-15 år som reser utan vuxet sällskap måste kunna
uppvisa giltig fotolegitimation vid incheckningen.

Translated from Swedish:
Unaccompanied minors aged 14 -15 years travelling must present the required valid photo-id at check-in
don_salvatore87
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 144
Location : Gothenburg, Sweden, closest airport: Gothenburg City Airport
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top