First Ryanair flight

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First Ryanair flight

Post by covenant on Mon 1 Jun 2009 - 21:20

Greetings,
In September I will make my first flight with Ryanair.
I will travel from Portugal-Porto (OPO) to London-Stansted (STN). I want to stay in London for about 5 nights.
I really could use some help on how to go from the Airport to London, how much will it cost, and how can I find a cheap bed Smile

I have another flight from Portugal-Porto (OPO) to Barcelona-Girona (GRO) in the 22nd September and return 23rd September. I got it for 20Eur total and I coulnd't resist.
Same tips would be very apreciated. Were to stay, and what to see in such short time. I'm not planning to sleep much because I want to squeeze every second possible Smile

Any other things I should know about traveling with Ryanair?
Thank you for your time, Best regards!
covenant
FR Starter
FR Starter

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-06-01

Back to top Go down

Re: First Ryanair flight

Post by ryr-nick-fr on Tue 2 Jun 2009 - 9:23

Hello,

Congratulations on you're booking of two Ryanair return flights! You are about to embark on a flight with the best airline in Europe.

For London Stansted to London, either Terravision bus (quite cheap) or the Stansted Express (there is a member on here, who is very nice and works on the Stansted Express) I am not sure on the price, but book on www.ryanair.com to get a discount.

For accomodation, Travelodge often has rooms for £19 per night. They are very comfortable, basic - but very good. Or the Ibis hotels, very similar to Travelodge; slightly more expensive though.

For Barcelona, I would say again Ibis hotels or use the Ryanair hotel booking pages, on the website to compare all hotels and get the best price. I am sure Terravision does a bus from Girona to Barcelona - again, this would be cheap.

Have a wonderful flight with Ryanair - and have a excellent trip to London and Barcelona.

Best Regards,

ryr-nick-fr
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 233
Location : London, UK. Nearest Base: STN -- HOME OF LOW FARES!
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by covenant on Tue 2 Jun 2009 - 11:46

Thank you very much the the warm welcome!
In London I will stay at least 5 nights, so I'll have a little more time to see London. I will look for Travelodge. I didn't knew that I could book from the Ryanair wensite (sorry, I'm still learing all of this Smile)

In Barcelone it will be a race to see the most I can in two afternoons and one morning. I'm trying to do a map with monuments I want to see in order, so that I can walk from one to another, and maybe Subway.
Any tips for barcelona sights?

It will be my second flight ever Smile My first was with TAP Portugal from Porto (OPO) to Madeira (FNC)-. What a awesome landing.

One again, than kyou for the welcome and help!
Best regards from Portugal
covenant
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mushroom on Tue 2 Jun 2009 - 17:32

You can buy stansted express ticket on board the flight for about £22. It is an open return valid for 30 days
Mushroom
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2009-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia on Wed 3 Jun 2009 - 13:22

Hello mate! :-)
Well, the other option for Barcelona is to get to Girona train station and then by train to Barcelona itself. Personally I know that Girona airport-Girona buses are departing very often and travel is taking about 25 minutes. And also Girona is nice place to see. Hope will try it late summer this year Very Happy
About Madera... I saw that airport and runway on few pictures - increddible!!
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by covenant on Wed 3 Jun 2009 - 17:39

Thank you for the reply amnesia,
I landed at Madeira airport when the runway was only 1600 meters. It was a windy night and it was scary!
covenant
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mushroom on Wed 3 Jun 2009 - 17:52

1600? Thats long! Angouleme in France, a FR destination has a 2723 ft, which is equal to 830 meters! scary huh?
Mushroom
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryr-nick-fr on Wed 3 Jun 2009 - 18:00

The journey time from Girona to Barcelona is longer than 25 minutes, I think about 1 hour and a bit.
ryr-nick-fr
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 233
Location : London, UK. Nearest Base: STN -- HOME OF LOW FARES!
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by atoutprix on Wed 3 Jun 2009 - 18:08

Mushroom wrote: Angouleme in France, a FR destination has a 2723 ft, which is equal to 830 meters! scary huh?

A 737-800 couldn't land on a 830 m runway, I think.
In fact, the runway at Angoulême (ANG / LFBU) is 1860 x 45 m (10/28); there is also a parallel, grass runway 750 x 80 m.

http://www.aeroport.fr/les-aeroports-de-l-uaf/angouleme-brie-champniers.php
atoutprix
FR Moderator
FR Moderator

Number of posts : 2389
Registration date : 2007-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Mushroom on Wed 3 Jun 2009 - 18:11

*kicks world airport codes webby and some random convertor i found*
Mushroom
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia on Sun 7 Jun 2009 - 0:15

ryr-nick-fr wrote:The journey time from Girona to Barcelona is longer than 25 minutes, I think about 1 hour and a bit.
It was about Girona airport - Girona City connection :-) Otherwise, you're right :-)
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by stevestrac on Sun 7 Jun 2009 - 4:47

It depends on the time that you arrive in London.... Rush hour on the motorway can be a nightmare, so coach is a good option outside of rush hour 7am - 10am. As ryr-nick-fr has mentioned, someone on here (me!) works for Stansted Express. Ok we are the "fastest" way into London, but this can be by only 10 minutes compared to the coach, which can cost about £15 cheaper. I'm not trying to do myself out of a job, but just be honest on this forum.

I will just say, DO NOT wait until you get to Stansted to buy your ticket! Eithere purchase on-line at either www.nationalexpress.com (had to get that one in there first! Very Happy or Terravision's web-site) or alternative buy on-board the FR flight, just DON'T buy when you get to Stansted, as it WILL cost you loads more.

On the other subject.......

Girona is so beautiful! The bus leaves at half past the hour every hour from the airport and leaves on the hour from Gironna bus station back to the airport, and as previously mentioned it takes 25 minutes.

Barcelona is about 1 hour 15 minutes if I remember rightly from the last time I went there, prefer Girona now.

Regards
Steve
stevestrac
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by stevestrac on Sun 7 Jun 2009 - 4:54

Just had to add, that my friends who book my hotels in Spain use www.travelsupermarket.com and use 1-3 star accomodation, it works for us going to Spain, I cannot say about London Hotels, but through them I am staying in Spain nect week for £22 a night Half-board. Breakfast and dinner will br free for that price!

It might help, I hope it does, but best I can do!

Cheers Steve
stevestrac
FR SuperFan
FR SuperFan

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by covenant on Sun 7 Jun 2009 - 20:16

Thank you all so much for those wonderfull tips and and the help you are giving me.
This week I will finish the transaction for Ryanair tickets for London and will post here details.
I allready bought Barcelona tickets.

22 Sept 09 Flight FR9374 Depart OPO at 09:20 and arrive GRO at 12:10

23 Sept 09 Flight FR9375 Depart GRO at 19:05 and arrive OPO at 19:55

Will check www.travelsupermarket.com to find a spot near the center of everything I want to see.
covenant
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by covenant on Fri 26 Jun 2009 - 14:34

New update:

I am thinking going to London from 8th September and return do Portugal 15th September.

For these dates, I can get the trip for a total of 20Eur + Visa charge. But to be able to get that price, I would arrive at Stansted at 23:40.
I would be in Victoria Station at about 00:30 which is pretty late for check in at a hostel I guess. I would then proceed to Bedford Hill where I am planning to stay, near Balham tube station.

Would it be a good idea, to reach Stansted at 23:40 and sleep there until it's morning and then proceed to my destination?
Is it even possible to sleep in Stansted airport without getting into trouble? Smile
Regards
covenant
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia on Sat 27 Jun 2009 - 4:03

Stansted looks like a large hostel so don't worry, you won't be the only one there Wink And I think it's good idea to use your late time like this. I mean I love to fly in as late as possible connection from Wroc³aw, sleep somewhere and then pick up an early one to be on my final destination as soon as possible and have 24 hours to use in my hostel.
BTW. I was thinking about travel this way to Porto in october, but seems my girlfriend is undecided yet...
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by covenant on Sat 27 Jun 2009 - 11:59

Thank you for the reply.
Please come to Porto, but if possible, try to come in September. It's still hot, and downtown nightlife is at it's peak.
I don't know if there are a lot of people spending the night at Porto airport. But one of these days I can go there and check it out, it's not far from my house.
Porto airport is right next to the train station, that will get you to the center of the city in very short time, about 15 minutes, and for about 1.50Eur I think (I can check out it later if you want).

Just another question before I buy the ticket flight.
I think I will only take one bag with me, under 10Kg so that it can go on the cabin.
If I buy the ticket with 0 bags, and if I realize I will need another bag, can I go earlier to the airport, and check in the bag? Is this possible?
Thank you for all the help
covenant
FR Starter
FR Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by amnesia on Sat 27 Jun 2009 - 16:33

Thanks for info :-) I'm thinking about Alicante in september with sub-destinations of Reus, Palma, Santiago or Porto, so it might be possible :-)

About large bag, as far as I know you can change your booking some before your flight, buy a baggage and check in internet. Then you just should go to the airport and leave it in the drop zone. From my experiences - I can pack myself into limits for three days trip including nights at the airport which means sleep bag and small blanket. All you have to do is to plan it very well and realisticaly Wink
amnesia
FR Lover
FR Lover

Back to top Go down

Bike in an airplain

Post by 6333t on Sat 27 Jun 2009 - 19:51

Hi,

Does anybody know if you, when you take your bike with you on an airplain, need to do something with your bike, for example put it in a special bag?

thanks in advance
6333t
FR Starter
FR Starter

Registration date : 2009-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by ruinair on Sat 27 Jun 2009 - 21:20

from ryanairs website ...

Special advice for the carriage of bicycles
The pedals must be removed (or fixed inwards) and the handlebars must be fixed sideways. The bike should be contained in a protective box or bag. It is not necessary from a safety perspective to deflate typical tyres found on bikes and wheelchairs for carriage in the hold. However, to eliminate the small risk of them being damaged by bursting, you may wish to deflate the tyres. Understandably this decision may be influenced by how easily the tyres could be inflated upon arrival.
ruinair
FR Lover
FR Lover

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by IRISHTAXIDRIVER on Sun 5 Jul 2009 - 18:31

Easybus also provide mini-coach transfers to central London starting at £2 each way. I would recomend travelodge, I use them quite a bit, cheap basic and cheerfull. Only Stansted based crews can sell bus and train tickets on Stansted bound flights, unless this has changed very recently. The Porto - STN flights are operated by STN crew, so tickets will be available onboard.
IRISHTAXIDRIVER
FR Rookie
FR Rookie

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top